What to Look For When Hiring a DJ
With so many DJ companies out there to choose from nowadays, there are few things you should consider to make a wise choice and not have your reception end up not turning out the way you would have liked it to.
Consider the following points when making your choice:
- Don’t judge your DJ on price alone. For a good company expect to pay anywhere from $800 to $1200 depending on the number of hours you need them. Typically 5 hours is what you should be looking for.
- How you are treated when you first contact the company is also a good indicator of how the company is to work with. Bad manners and attitudes tend to spread across the whole company.
- Check out reviews on your company through sources like weddingwire.com and the knot.com. Although some companies have been known to pay their clients for good reviews. For the most part these are good sources. An even better source would be your venue and photographer.
- DJ companies offer a lot of add on products. Keep in mind that first and foremost you are looking for a DJ. Uplighting and Photobooths should not be the primary topic of conversation. Judge your company by their DJ talent, not how many extras they are willing to add on. Also be aware of upcharge items like setup and teardown and travel charges (under 30 miles). And remember in New York there is no sales tax for a private event.
- Finally: You only know if you got a good price after the event is over. If you got a bad event you got exactly what you paid for.